The fourth annual Music at St. Mary’s Concert Series will feature a wide variety of music on eight different dates beginning this month, according to John Glaze, the music director at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church who organizes the series.
Following is a list of the dates and a brief description of each concert:
• On Sunday, Oct. 23 at 3 p.m., James McLaughlin will be returning to his hometown of Hillsboro for an organ recital on the historic pipe organ at St. Mary’s. He will be assisted by his brother, Mick, his grand-nephew, Nate Hinaman, who plays the cello, and Jennie Harner, who plays the flute. James McLaughlin is the owner of a music conservatory in Zanesville. He serves as an artist-in-residence at the Central Trinity United Methodist Church and also directs the Zanesville Civic Chorus.
• On Sunday, Dec. 4 at 2 p.m., the Southern State Singers will present their 17th annual Christmas Concert under the direction of Glaze, with Melanie MacDowell as their accompanist. This group is comprised of community members as well as students from Southern State Community College.
•On Sunday, Dec. 18 at 3 p.m., Lynn Lowell, Jennie Harner and Glaze will welcome the community to “A St. Mary’s Christmas” with selections from familiar and beautiful holiday music.
• On Sunday, March 19 at 3:30 p.m., the Cincinnati Choral Society will present a concert directed by Phil Clary. This 40-voice choir has performed with a number of regional orchestras and chamber ensembles as well as in Carnegie Hall, Notre Dame Cathedral and All Hallows by the Tower in London.
• On Sunday, April 2 at 3 p.m., there will be a very special recital by Daniel Jacky, a senior at Hillsboro High School and the organist for the First Presbyterian Church. Jacky has received multiple superior ratings in the Ohio Music Educators Association adjudicated events in the categories of composition and performance on the piano. He studies under David White, the choral director at Hillsboro High School, and plans to further his musical studies in college.
• On Sunday, April 9 at 3 p.m., Glaze will present organ music for the Lenten Season, Holy Week, Good Friday and Easter. He will be joined by Harner on flute and Lowell on piano.
• On Sunday, April 23 at 3 p.m., The Adagio Trio will be back by popular demand. The group was founded in 1985 by Kathryn Daniels, Michael Daniels and Linda Grieser, when the Danielses were studying for their master’s degrees at the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music. Michael Daniels is now the principal cellist with the Virginia Symphony and the trio continues to travel and perform between Virginia and Cincinnati.
• The concert series concludes on Sunday, May 7 at 3 p.m., with a Spring Choral Concert presented by the Southern State Singers. Members of the group will introduce the pieces being performed and provide information about the piece or composer.
St. Mary’s Episcopal Church is located at 234 N. High St. in Hillsboro (look for the red doors). All concerts are presented free to the public, although donations are appreciated to help offset the fees charged by some professional groups. Most of the programs are followed by refreshments and a chance to visit with the performers and purchase CDs, if available.
For further information, contact D. Flinn at 937-393-4193.