Dozens of Veterans Day programs and various events have been scheduled around Highland County and there is one thing the Highland County Veterans Honor Guard would like area residents to remember – Veterans Day is in appreciation of living veterans, not in memorial.
“Very few places will have a three-gun volley and taps. Veterans Day is to recognize our living veterans and thanking them for their service,” the honor guard said in a news release.
It is also not proper to lower the flag to half staff on Veterans Day, according to Major Morrow, an honor guard member and retired major in the U.S. Air Force. He said that’s reserved for Memorial Day when veterans who gave their lives for their country are to be remembered.
Following is a list of local Veterans Day events:
• Nov. 10 at 10 a.m. – Hillsboro Christian Academy Veterans Lunch and Program.
• Nov. 10 at 1:30 p.m. – Lynchburg-Clay Middle School Veterans Program.
• Nov. 10 at 6:30 p.m. – Hillsboro Fifth Grade Veterans Program in the elementary school gymnasium.
• Nov. 10 at 6:30 p.m. – Leesburg Lions Club Veterans Dinner in the Leesburg Community Room.
• Nov. 11 at 8 a.m. – Lynchburg-Clay High School Veterans Breakfast and Program.
• Nov. 11 from 8-9 a.m. – Whiteoak Veterans Day Program. Breakfast is from 8-9 a.m. and a program will follow.
• Nov. 11 at 10:15 a.m. – Fairfield Elementary Veterans Program.
• Nov. 11 at 11 a.m. – Annual veterans program at Hillsboro VFW Post 9094. Food will be provided after the ceremony.
• Nov. 11 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. – Little Caesar’s Pizza in Hillsboro will offer veterans a free lunch combo.
• Nov. 11 for lunch only – Veterans eat free at No. 1 China Buffet in Hillsboro.
• Nov. 11 at noon – Hillsboro High School Veterans Program and Lunch. RSVP is required for lunch. Call 937-393-3485.
• Nov. 11 all day – Fifty percent off veterans’ meals at Slow & Low BBQ in Hillsboro.
• Nov. 11 all day – Free veterans’ dinners (six options available) at Hillsboro Bob Evans.
• Nov. 11 all day – Free three-way chili and drink for veterans at Gold Star Chili in Hillsboro.
• Nov. 11 all day – Twenty percent off veterans’ meals at Alley 21 in Hillsboro, plus 10 percent off meals every day for veterans.
• Nov. 11 at 1:45 p.m. – Fairfield High School Veterans Day Program.
• Nov. 11 at 2 p.m. – Bright Local Veterans Day Program in Sugar Tree Ridge.
• Nov. 11 from 4-7 p.m. – Highland County Veterans Service Office Annual Veterans Appreciation Night. There will be free giveaways and refreshments.
• Nov. 12 at 4 p.m. – Free veterans dinner and program by DAV L.C. Ludwick Chapter 123 at Hillsboro Ponderosa Banquet Center. Veterans’ spouses are welcome.
• Nov. 12 from 5-7 p.m. – Soup supper at Lynchburg United Methodist Church. Freewill donations will benefit the Highland County Veterans Honor Guard. Music will be provided.
• Nov. 13 at 3 p.m. – SSCC Community Band Veterans Day Concert at Southern State auditorium in Hillsboro.
• Nov. 14 all day – Veterans eat free at Hillsboro Ponderosa.
The Highland County Veterans Honor Guard will be present at many of these events. It serves at 70 to 75 funerals each year and approximately 50 other events.
If anyone would like to make a donation to the honor guard for the purchase of uniforms, gas to and from events, or van insurance and inspections, the donations can be sent to: Highland County Veterans Honor Guard, P.O. Box 505, Hillsboro, Ohio 45133. The honor guard does not receive any government funds. If any organization would like to ask the honor guard to come to an event, contact Alberta Duncan at 937-403-3730.
Reach Jeff Gilliland at 937-402-2522 or on Twitter @13gillilandj.