The Greenfield Historical Society is hitting the ground running as the new year opens with the first of three Sunday dinners on Jan. 3 and a membership drive in January and February.
The dinners serve as fundraisers to pay bills for the five properties the historical society owns and to help fund some of the events it hosts each year.
The first dinner, served from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. by waiters and waitresses at the Grain & Hay building on real plates, silverware and linen, will have a menu including roast pork loin, applesauce, green beans, potatoes, bread, brownie sundae and beverages. The cost is $10 with no tipping.
There will be dinners featuring baked barbecue chicken on Sunday, Feb. 7 and smoked ham on Sunday, March 6.
“Come on down after church and have a great meal, visit with friends and support the Greenfield Historical Society,” president Harold Schmidt said.
The membership drive kicked off at the turn of the year with a goal of hitting a membership mark of 370 to 375. Schmidt said that since his wife, Judy, took over as membership drive chairman a few years ago, membership has grown from 240 to 343 last year.
Annual dues are $10 for an individual, $20 for a family, $25 for organizations or businesses, or $125 for corporate groups. An individual lifetime membership is available $100, or the immediate family can be included for $150 lifetime.
Members receive a newsletter three times a year, reduced rental fees for facilities the society rents out, and free admission to historical society events. You can find more information at www.greenfieldhistoricalsociety.org.
Formed in 1949, the society has several events planned for 2016 including bringing back the Cemetery Stroll that it did not hold a year ago.
It will host an Underground Railroad Program on Feb. 28, a Spring Tea on April 10, the Cemetery Stroll on June 19, have activities at the Greene Countrie Towne Festival July 15-17, History Day on Oct. 1, a Ghost Walk on Oct. 10, and its Tour of Homes, plus a baked steak dinner, on Dec. 4.
The society owns five buildings including the Travellers Rest that serves as its headquarters, Grain & Hay building, Smith Tannery, B & O Railroad Depot and Konneker Education Museum.
Travellers Rest, built in 1812, was the first stone house in Greenfield and served as the town’s first post office. The Old Burying Ground, where many of Greenfield’s early citizens rest, is located behind it. Travellers Rest is open on Thursdays from 1-4 p.m. or by appointment, except for December, January and February.
The Grain & Hay building played a major role in providing area residents with their farm and hardware supplies. It opened in 1910, became Highland Lumber in 1985 and was purchased by the historical society in 2003. It currently is used to display several items and has a newspaper/school research area.
The Smith Tannery, established in 1821, is the oldest existing tannery building in Ohio and was a stop on the Underground Railroad. It also has memorabilia on display.
The B & O Railroad Depot, once an active transportation hub located on South Washington Street along the railroad tracks in Greenfield, has been relocated, painted and repaired.
The Konneker Education Museum was originally the Old Seceders Presbyterian Church. It was part of the Union Schools from 1867-1884 and was used a two-family rental property for many years. The historical society purchased and did major repairs to it after a 2005 fire.
For more information on the historical society call 937-981-7890.
Reach Jeff Gilliland at 937-402-2522 or on Twitter @13gillilandj.