Greenfield fire displaces four people


Blaze started on stove of McClain Avenue residence

By Angela Shepherd - [email protected]



A fire on McClain Avenue in Greenfield on Tuesday night that displaced four people has been determined to have started on the stove of one of the building’s apartments, according to Paint Creek Chief Bradley George.

The chief said Paint Creek Joint EMS/Fire District got the call about a structure fire at 335 McClain Ave. around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday. Two of the three apartments in the building, owned by Bill Ferguson, were occupied at the time, George said, but all four occupants escaped the blaze.

The four occupants of the building that were displaced were Franklin Cox, Donna Fuller, John Brown, and Kimra Snyder, the chief said. There were no reported injuries.

According to George, the occupants of one of the apartments said they had food on the stove, but believed the appliance to be turned off before they left for a time, only to return home to find smoke coming out of the building.

George said the apartment where the fire began was a “total loss” while the unoccupied apartment upstairs sustained some fire and smoke damage.

The Highland County North Joint Fire and Ambulance District out of Leesburg, the Wayne Township Fire Department out of Fayette County, and the Bainbridge Fire Department were called to assist due to the size of the structure, George said, but all the manpower on hand was not utilized because the fire was brought under control fairly quickly, he said. The scene was cleared around 11 p.m.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the occupants.

Reach Angela Shepherd at 937-393-3456, ext. 1681, or on Twitter @wordyshepherd.

Blaze started on stove of McClain Avenue residence

By Angela Shepherd

[email protected]

comments powered by Disqus